Written by Aaron-Michael Fox.
Downtown Huntington, West Virginia is home to many beautiful and interesting historic buildings with the 900 block of 3rd and 4th Avenues getting most of the attention. However, one often overlooked historic building in our neighborhood is the old Greyhound Bus Station located on the southwest corner of 4th Avenue and 12thStreet.
The bus station, now the downtown Huntington depot for the Tri-State Transit Authority (TTA) as well as Greyhound, has welcomed passengers to the city since 1953. The one-story Art Moderne building was designed by noted architect George D. Brown. In the middle part of the last century, Mr. Brown designed a number of stations in the Upper South for Greyhound
Among others, George D. Brown designed the Greyhound bus stations in Charleston, WV; Ashland, KY; Columbia, SC; and Savannah, GA. Columbia and Savannah have been added to the National Register of Historic Places. Sadly, the Charleston and Ashland stations have been demolished.
According to TheClio.com, the Huntington Greyhound Station was purchased by the TTA in 1994 for $200,000. The TTA team did an amazing job of preserving the original character of the building while keeping it a modern, working depot.
The old depot shows off George D. Brown’s style impeccably from its bold lines, porthole(!) windows, and curved edges to the glass brick at the corner entrance and that classic neon signage that still lights up 4thAvenue at night. Even at 70 years old, this building still feels futuristic. Be sure to take a moment to examine and enjoy the Downtown Huntington Bus Station the next time you’re in the neighborhood! See photos below.